Saturday, October 19, 2013

REVIEW Times Two - Hidden Series by M. Lathan - Book 1

Review Times Two - Hidden Series
 
by
 
M. Lathan

 
Book 1 Hidden

 
 
Sixteen-year-old Leah Grant has given up on being normal. She’d settle for stopping the voices in her head, intrusive visions of the future, and better odds of making it to her seventeenth birthday.

That’s the thing about pretending to be human in a world where magic used to exist – at any moment, her cover could be blown and she’ll be burned to death like the rest of the witches.

Everything changes when she loses control of her powers and flees the orphanage she grew up in. She desperately wants to be invisible but finds her face plastered on every news channel as humans panic over the possible resurgence of her kind. And now the hunters won’t give up until they find her.

Making friends for the first time in her life and falling in love with one of them drives her to discover why she is unlike any being she’s ever met – human or otherwise. The dangerous powers inside of her that would repel Nathan, her new, handsome reason for living, are priceless to some. The locked up forever kind of priceless. And to others, they are too dangerous to allow her to live.

Let’s hope she can stay hidden

 

 
 
 
Leah is a girl convinced that she is an abomination. She lives in a world where the paranormal tried to overthrow the humans and lost. At least that is what she has been told at the orphanage slash catholic school she has been at since her parents died. They have indoctrinated the children with their version of good and evil and what happened in their recent history.
 Leah is full of loathing for herself. She keeps away from others because she knows what she is truly capable of. She is bullied for being anti social and knows she could easily make them all pay but not without risking her powers being revealed resulting in her imprisonment and death. She is well aware of the consequences if she were to use her unusual capabilities.
When she finally snaps and has decided to burn down the mean girls she's stopped and whisked away by a woman and quickly becomes the topic of kidnapping and possible ransom.
Leah prays often hoping God will find grace and forgiveness for her being an evil creature. She asks for forgiveness for her evil thoughts about revenge.
The woman who whisked her away is Sophia, she has brought other teens to her home where she rescues their kind. She meets new people and has to learn to interact with others.
She meets Nathan and he relaxes her and helps her to break out of her shell at least a little.
She learns from Nathan about the hunters and how evil they really are even though they are humans.
She tries her best but with the ultimate Hunter on her missing person case it's a challenge for her to stay hidden.
She finds she has more emotions than she ever thought she could. She has struggled with knowing she was different. She now has a chance to fit in and things seem to get flipped and twisted just when they start getting good!
Just when you think you have it all figured out BAM! Nope! You were dead wrong! I LOVE IT!
 
 I absolutely am loving this series. It has every element I love my YA reads to have with the perfect amount of paranormal in there.
So glad I have book 2 to read right after.
 
 
 
 

I like Leah and her cynical demeanor it's something I love about her and the fact that she knows she could annihilate Sienna and doesn't definitely makes her the better person. I like the depth and the fact that I can vividly picture every moment of this book. I was not disappointed in any part of this book and there was never a moment that I wished I could move on already. Even Sienna's character was a believable one along with her cronies.
I definitely like Sophia although I was a little miffed at first about her husband not making an appearance. It's just a bit shady!
And about Nathan, well he is a great character, everything you want in swoon worthy YA read. Good looking and good natured. All of the characters are well developed and well thought out. I love characters with depth and these are jam packed!
I like the storyline and plot as well it kept me engaged and reading until I couldn't hold my eyes open anymore. Life got in the way but I made time for this undeniably GOOD READ!!!

This books has it all!
Mystery, intrigue, love, hate, friends, enemies, good guys, bad guys and hotness a plenty.
(That Shaw chic gives me the heebie jeebies like Jeanine Matthews from Divergent until we find out the truth about her... OMG!)
 
  
 
 KEEP SCROLLING DOWN if you DO NOT WANT to read SPOILERS.

 
 
Leah is tormented by evil Sienna and her crew of girls which are joined by Leah's former roommate Whit. They're cruel and when Leah finally snaps with plans to kill them with a slow burn she's whisked away by Sophia who is clearly a witch. Leah is freaked out and curious all at the same time.
 
Okay so the house and it's inhabitants of the place she's taken to is a safe haven for her as well as the others that are there. I like all those characters but one.. I love all that she finds out about herself too and the means it happens.
 
I do not like Remi! At all! She drives me crazy and I worry she is gonna go straight to Lydia Shaw! I do like Emma though and practically cheered when she started seeing Remi for what she really was. Paul is a jerk of a guy who just needed some practice with his people skills, good at heart.
I was floored my stomach twisting when Liam made his appearance. I actually feared Leah and her friends! But that was quickly shadowed by the revelations after!
It's mind blowing at points, seriously!
And OH MY GAWD! When she goes to Paris and the revelations smack her in the face I was stunned!!
Then when she gets the rest of the story back at the house, wow! Just wow!
I was happy about Julian's fate but freaked out by Kamon.
And ultimately decisions are made that are hard. I was a little shocked by it.
Shocked and happy and sad.
This book gives you the warm and fuzzies and can make you cringe all at the same time!  Rollercoaster emotions definitely. But it's far from over!
 
There were times my heart was racing and times I cried for C.C. and for Christine.
No doubt about it this was definitely a five star (or heart) read for me!
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
There were moments in this read that silent tears were streaming.
There were also moments I came close to blabbering like a baby.
My heart hurt and I laughed my butt off as well. Overall I felt like an emotional basket case.
I am into the series all the way!
 
 
 
 
Book 1 Hidden is FREE!


 

 

 


M. Lathan

M. Lathan lives in San Antonio with her husband and mini-schnauzer. She enjoys writing and has a B.S. in Psych and a Masters in Counseling. Her passion is a blend of her two interests creating new worlds and stocking them with crazy people. She enjoys reading anything with interesting characters and writing in front of a window while asking rhetorical questions … like her idol Carrie Bradshaw.

Connect Here:

Goodreads
Amazon Central Author Page
Website



 Thanks for stopping by!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment