Sunday, January 19, 2014

REVIEW - Allegiant by Veronica Roth

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.
 
 
 




I went into this read with high hopes but really terrified, usually I try to avoid the buzz surrounding a book I have not read yet and what I have stumbled across has left me scared to read this last installment in my first dystopian series ever.

I read Divergent in August of 2012 and fell in love with Tris and Tobias (“Four”) and the Dauntless.

Jeanine Matthews made an amazing villain and she was so eerily calm.

The world that Veronica Roth created was so easy to imagine, it was so vivid in my mind. I loved seeing the different factions and the difference in the people within them. I think visiting Amity was one of my favorite spots in my imagination. The simulations were brilliantly terrifying. I cannot imagine being subject to things like that. I’d like to think I would be brave like Tris and Tobias but who knows.


There are a ton of emotions that went through me as a fan of the series. What I can definitively say it was a really great ride. It made me scared at times and happy at others and sad in between. I laughed, I cried and I swooned too of course.

One thing is certain and that is that I will cherish this series as one of my all-time favorite reads ever. Nothing will ever change that.

Now onto my review of the final installation in the Divergent trilogy, Allegiant.
 
 



Tris sits in prison waiting while all of her trust sits with Tobias. She is in there with Christina and Cara as Evelyn runs the show with the Factionless armed as guards.
They control the weapons so they control it all and Evelyn has her sights set on ruling a new world where there are no factions but she does so in a very tyrannical manner. The lack of faction is symbolized by the empty circle adorned on her arm as well as her supporters and army. Even knowing everything they know she has no intention of helping the outside society at all. Just that everyone inside the fences would live without factions under her rule.


I will always love the interactions between Tris and Tobias and the very first ones in this book were great. Just what I had been waiting for, so enthralling and all encompassing. The dynamic and intensity between Tris and Tobias is never, ever a letdown. To get out of Evelyn’s new Factionless world was a very crazy scenario and I was sad at some of the things that happened then.

The First Tobias Quote From Divergent's Third Installment "Allegiant" Has Been Revealed
 
Okay moving on, no spoilers…

So once they were on the outside I was excited and scared as they learned the truth and then I was just shocked, no make that floored. I was also worried about what was going to happen next, knowing it wasn't going to be at all predictable. I was uneasy as the story progressed fearing what was happening before my eyes.

There’s a new revolution to take part in as the genetics and divergent collide into an understanding that opens revelations as well as new wounds and distrust. So many things go wrong that I was so frustrated and didn’t want to go on. I had to put it down at 65% through because of that frustration.
Ultimately my need to know how it played out over took it though and I soldiered on. Let me say that I have no intention of spoiling this book in any way for anyone. There won’t even be hidden spoilers even though I am so tempted to say things that would give it all away. But I won’t. This series is too big for that.

Once they were faced with a new evil or greater good the progression of the story happened fast and I was biting my nails the entire time.



By the end of chapter thirty six I did something I have never done while reading... I held my breath.

I like the twists and I like the plot and the storyline too. I like alot about this book and I don't like alot about this book. What I don't like is only a result of my selfishness as a reader and there were parts that slapped me in the face and I had to re-read them... Yup it said what I thought it did.

The aftermath inside of me when I was done reading this book was a book hangover I was severely unprepared for. This book ended well, don't get me wrong it doesn't have to go your way to end well and it really did. I don't regret reading it at all.

But this book left me raw and I had no hope of sleep. 4:54 am on Sunday morning and I read all the way through... I have to be getting ready to go to what I do in life in about thirty minutes and I feel spent. Emotionally so much more than physically.

I had to finish reading I couldn't stop until I really had to because I couldn't see through the tears. I understand why some people are angry, I really do. But there's more to this than what meets the imagination...

I rode the rollercoaster through shock and disbelief, agony and pain followed by anger and finally hurt. It sounds crazy to say that at least in my mind but I am being completely honest. This is a book... It's a story... Not real... But it doesn't change that these stories, these books are some of the best I have ever read.

I tried to sleep but only stared at the dark ceiling that I could barely make out in the pitch dark. I realized something and I laughed at myself because its profound and ridiculous making me swear delirious was what I was at that point.


These books are about so much more than Abnegation, Candor, Erudite, Amity and Dauntless or Tobias Eaton and Beatrice Prior. They are about equality and removing the concept of better than and assuming things about people. They are about the judgment we pass on each other every day without batting an eye and how we try to fix others flaws while wearing our own. It's about the peace that opening yourself to others brings and knowing that even if it brings pain you were still strong enough to do it.

I congratulate Veronica Roth for being something I don't think I could be in the instance of my book and characters that are a part of me... She is the one thing she reminds us all to be... And that the real fans need to be to read this final book... BRAVE
.
 

 
5 of 5 Hearts
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
Veronica RothVeronica Roth is from a Chicago suburb. She studied creative writing at Northwestern University, and wrote DIVERGENT (Katherine Tegen Books, May 2011) and INSURGENT (May 2012). The third and final book in The Divergent Trilogy, ALLEGIANT, will come out on October 22, 2013. In the meantime she will spend endless hours browsing Wikipedia in her pajamas as she eats corn flakes. (Or some other kind of bland breakfast cereal.)
 
 
Connect
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Reading!  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment