Wednesday, March 19, 2014

REVIEW - Out of Nowhere by Rebecca Phillips

At eleven years old, Riley Tate witnessed the sudden death of her father. Now, at sixteen, she still can’t bring herself to step on “the spot”—the section of kitchen floor on which her father landed after collapsing from a brain aneurysm. For Riley, a borderline hypochondriac with anxiety issues, moving on seems impossible, taking risks is out of the question, and even the simplest things feel loaded with danger.

When she meets Cole Boyer in an ER waiting room, Riley realizes immediately that he’s far from the safe, predictable boy she usually goes for. A fearless daredevil with mysterious scars and a thirst for all things dangerous, Cole is like an accident waiting to happen. Still, despite their differences, they forge an unlikely friendship that eventually blossoms into something more.

Dating someone who’s so casual about death has its challenges, but as Riley soon learns, not everyone can be—or needs to be—saved










Wait. What? No! Seriously!

I NEED to know what comes next for Riley and Cole!

That can't possibly end there! No way! I mean granted it was a good spot if that was book 1 to leave off but end?? No! I so would have given it five stars if it would have had a better more resolved ending... :(

Riley is an average troubled yet good teen girl. She has issues but for the most part aside from her anxiety she's dealing and that is great! I am surprised at how much i got into this book, it really sucked me in and got me to sit and read despite other things I needed to do. I even neglected my poor blog. LOL!

I liked the storyline, plot, build and the characters too. All of the characters were pretty well defined and my favorite was probably Lucas then Riley and Cole. Then I think I love Tristan and Jeff was a cool character too. Riley's mom was a brave woman who did in fact grieve and deal with everything she had been through and was so sensitive to her daughters needs. I am not sure I would have put off my life for my daughter the way she had. But I was glad that she went on with her plans and I was sad that Riley felt like she did about her mother's happiness. I would have been a little more in favor of my mom's happiness.

College will be happening soon but the story cut off and man I freaked! LOL! I need to join Riley and Cole on seeing what the future holds for them seriously and I wouldn't mind hearing more of her mom, Jeff and Tristan's story plus :Lucas and her other friends. I liked that school was such a little part of the read like it didn't take place at school but work and home and of course doctors offices and the hospital. Plus the beach and the outdoors.

Anyways I so need to see if there's going to be more to this story. Ugh! Ms. Phillips a little help here? LOL!

It was a great read and now I am invested. 

I recommend it but know that you will want more just like I do!




 4 of 5 stars













Rebecca Phillips has been a fan of contemporary young adult fiction ever since she first discovered Judy Blume at the age of twelve. After a brief stint of writing bad poetry as a teenager, she finally found her niche with realistic, coming-of-age YA. She didn't start getting serious about being a real author, however, until she was in her early thirties.

After several years of writing, revision, submission, rejection, and a lot of frustration, she entered her third novel, OUT OF NOWHERE, in the 2012 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest. She made it all the way to the Top 3 in the Young Adult category. She's also the author of a contemporary young adult two-book series, JUST YOU and SOMEONE ELSE.

Rebecca lives just outside the beautiful city of Halifax, Nova Scotia with her husband, two children, and one crazy kitty. She absolutely loves living so close to the ocean. When she’s not tapping away on her trusty laptop, she can be found vacuuming up cat hair, spending time with her family, watching reality TV, reading all different genres of books, or strolling around the bookstore with a vanilla latte in her hand.

Rebecca is always writing something, even if it’s just a grocery list. These days, she is hard at work on her next novel.


Connect

Website
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads







This counts towards my #YACC2014
YAContemporary_challenge







This counts towards my #RPRC2014


2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge

hosted by


&







Review copy courtesy 
of the author through the ARR Program
Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books




No comments:

Post a Comment