Monday, November 11, 2013

REVIEW - Awakening by Smantha Long

REVIEW
Awakening
by
Samantha Long
When Sophie moves to Boston to get away from the people who ridiculed her for her psychic talents, she wants to start fresh. But when a demon attacks her study group at the library, she has no choice but to reveal her abilities to warn the others.

She learns the attacks won't stop until she's dead. To stay alive she joins forces with the other students and a secret society that has battled the demons for centuries.

The last thing she wants to do is be a pawn in the war of good and evil. When her visions start showing events from a past life, she can't ignore the connections it shows. She has no choice but to acknowledge the bonds that tie her to the other students, even if some of them refuse, to have the strength to defeat the demon that hunts them down.

Will she survive long enough to stop the demons from destroying everything and everyone she loves?
 
 


Sophie has visions that cause headaches when we meet her she is caught in a melancholy and regretting dragging her best friend into her world. What she doesn’t realize at that point is she is a part of it even without her.

Sophie and her best friend Lilli have gone to a private school because Sophie had visions of it.

She knows she is different but is uncertain as to why. Lilli also has powers. She is a healer and they both found out about their abilities when they were young, around five.

Sophie has a crush on Tristan she feels drawn to him and Lilli has had her sights. Set on Jackson for just as long. They are all sort of thrown together in a sociology project or so they were told. But at their first meeting for the project they’re attacked in the library by a man/ creature with sharp talons, but the group finds out they have lots in common as they fight for their lives.

Besides Sophie, Lilli, Jackson and Tristan there's Aidan and Morgan. Aidan likes Morgan clearly but she's a bit prissy cheerleader where he's pierced and tattooed.

The attack forces them to realize that they all have special abilities. They do a good job but their attacker is ruthless and keeps coming. They are saved by a professor and a security guard, Ruth and Demetri.

They tell the teens they have lots to talk about but they have to give statements to the police first and they can’t say anything about the supernatural stuff.

Later, Sophie has a vision that tells her just how connected they are really.

Kids have been going missing and Sophie has another vision about a missing girl and it turns out to be Katie, her and Lilli's favorite waitress from their favorite spot. They go to find her with the help of the others including Ruth and Demetri, on their first “mission”.

They have a huge fight ahead and they dive into it head on. Facing off with a coven of vampires shortly after finding out they have a purpose. They decide not to join the Society but Ruth is quick to let them know the one who is searching for them will stop at nothing to kill them all. They are not at all happy that she said that, almost forcing compliance but they parted ways, not a part of the Society.

They soon realize they have a lot to learn and a little time to do it in.

They train hard after they get an attack again realizing it's better to be prepared!

The journey they embark on is hair raising and scary at times and at other times it tugs on your heart strings! (I love an emotional rollercoaster with my read!)

Sophie battles to learn what it takes to be the Oracle she was meant to be.

They all go home for Thanksgiving in pairs and things get really interesting. But they only get to relax for so long before things got serious again and oh man! I am so not going to give away anything else in this story!!
You will not be disappointed I promise!
 
 
 
 

4 of 5 Hearts! 
 
 

 
There is a plethora of supernatural beings in this book. There’s vampires, an oracle, shifters, telekinetics, a healer, an elemental, and even a girl that goes invisible much less the demons. The good guys are guardians and they have been dormant for a long, long time. Now the final battle is on the horizon and they have been reborn but they still are who they are and they have no memory of the past but Sophie has visions of it that tell her it’s true.

This story really does draw you in and hangs on tight.

The characters all have a unique personalities and backgrounds both main characters and those in passing. All the way down to Augustus and Cairo, the Vampire Queen.
Oh, yes did I mention I love every single interaction between Sophie and Tristan, okay... carry on!

Sophie and Lilli are explained so well you can almost predict how they would act in any given situation. The supporting cast of characters have quickly become one of my favorites. I like the mixture of attitude and sweetness throw in some sarcasm and voila. Done.

If my life and my sleepiness didn’t get in my way I am positive I would have read this one in one sitting!

Do I recommend it?? Heck yeah I do! Samantha Long did an awesome job on her first book!

For the critics with an eye on the grammar and spelling: Yes. There are some spelling fumbles like “jumpeded” but I have seen things like that in big house published and self-published alike, so really I overlook the little things and these are very little.

This is an EPIC story of survival and loyalty mixed with love and friendship. Toss in the greater good and whole good versus evil and it’s a really great read!

I absolutely love the Goodreads group Lovers of Paranormal. I have found so many great authors and books through the R2R program! Awesome!

 
 
 
 

 
 
 



 
I'm a multitasking mom of four. When not writing/doing laundry/changing diapers, I like to catch up on episodes of Supernatural and Castle. If you can't find me in front of the computer, I'm most likely watching my DVR.​
​I've been writing since the first grade, where I wrote a one page story titled "If I was an Indian". My warrior husband was going to be the best hunter, I was going to live in the best teepee and apparently, I was having an affair with the Chief. Racy, I know.
Of the things I'm addicted to sweet tea, movies, and books top the list. My favorite authors include Nora Roberts, Lauren Kate, Kresley Cole, and Gena Showalter. Few of many I love.
Thanks so much for reading!
​Sam :)
 
 
Connect
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment